Despite video evidence and allegations that personnel of the Nigerian Army shot at #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Plaza in Lagos state, Nigeria’s Attorney-general and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami said hoodlums wearing military uniforms may have shot at the demonstrators at the plaza.
Addressing journalists on Monday in Abuja, Malami said an investigation is underway to ascertain what truly happened at the Lekki tollgate.
The Attorney-general of the Federation was of the view that comments pointing towards the fact there had even been shootings was “pre-emptive” and added that “hoodlums” may have been hired to create a scene.
“You cannot rule out the possibility of perhaps hoodlums that set in to create a scene… could equally partake in the process,” Malami stated.
The army had last week admitted its soldiers were deployed at the request of Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu to restore order but denied they opened fire on the gathered crowd protesting against police brutality.
For more than 10 days protests had rocked Nigeria, with demonstrators calling for the disbandment of tactical police unit SARS. But while the government acted swiftly in disbanding the unit, protests persisted with the country’s youths calling for sweeping reforms in the police and improved governance
In Lagos, protesters camped at the Lekki Toll Plaza for several days before they were dispersed by soldiers with brute force. World Human Rights group, Amnesty International has said at least 10 protesters were killed in the Lekki plaza shooting on October 20.
Governor Sanwo-Olu had blamed the incident on “forces beyond my direct control”.
By Abel Ejikeme
© 2023 Arise News - Part of the Arise Media Group.