At least six Americans have reportedly been exposed to the Ebola virus during the ongoing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to sources familiar with the situation.
The outbreak, which the World Health Organization has declared a public health emergency of international concern, has so far recorded about 350 suspected cases and 91 deaths in DR Congo.
Reports say one American is believed to have developed symptoms, while three others are said to have experienced high-risk exposure. Authorities have not confirmed whether any of the Americans have tested positive for the virus.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it was supporting the “safe withdrawal of a small number of Americans who are directly affected,” but did not specify how many people were involved.
The current outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments.
Health authorities have also confirmed two Ebola cases and one death in neighbouring Uganda.
According to reports, the US government is arranging transport for affected Americans to a quarantine facility outside DR Congo. One report suggested the group could be moved to a US military base in Germany, although officials have not confirmed the plan.
During a press conference on Sunday, CDC officials declined to answer direct questions about the affected Americans, but maintained that the overall risk to the United States remained low.
The US government has also issued a Level Four travel advisory warning Americans against travelling to DR Congo.
The WHO warned that the outbreak in eastern Ituri province could become significantly larger than current figures indicate, with risks of wider local and regional spread.
Jean Kaseya, Director-General of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, urged communities to follow public health guidance, particularly during funerals.
“We don’t want people infected because of funerals,” he told the BBC World Service’s Newsday programme.
Health experts say unsafe burial practices contributed significantly to infections during the 2014 to 2016 Ebola outbreak in West Africa, which killed more than 11,000 people.
Faridah Abdulkadiri
Follow us on:
