• en
ON NOW
d

WHO Warns Of Regional Ebola Threat After DR Congo, Uganda Outbreak Escalates 

Ebola outbreak triggers international emergency declaration as health agencies battle rising deaths and suspected infections across borders.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak affecting the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern after at least 80 deaths were linked to the disease.

The UN health agency said the outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, poses a high regional risk because of possible cross-border transmission, although it does not currently meet the threshold for a pandemic-level emergency.

According to the WHO, 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed infections and 246 suspected cases had been recorded by Saturday in Ituri province in eastern DRC.

The outbreak has affected at least three health zones, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu, while one confirmed case was also reported in the eastern Congolese city of Goma.

The WHO described the outbreak as “extraordinary.” warning that there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments specifically designed for the Bundibugyo strain.

The agency said the latest outbreak could be significantly larger than initially reported because of the increasing number of suspected infections and the high positivity rate among early samples tested.

In neighbouring Uganda, two laboratory-confirmed Ebola cases, including one death, were reported in the capital, Kampala, involving travellers arriving from the DRC.

Health authorities in the United States have also heightened surveillance following reports that several Americans working in the DRC may have been exposed to the virus.

According to reports and STAT News, at least six Americans were reportedly exposed, with three cases considered high-risk exposures, although Reuters said it could not independently verify the reports.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said it had activated its emergency response centre and planned to deploy additional personnel to the DRC and Uganda.

“The risk to the US remains low,” Ebola response manager at the CDC, Satish Pillai, told reporters during a briefing.

The US Embassy in the DRC also issued a travel warning urging Americans not to travel to Ituri province “for any reason”, citing severe limitations in emergency support capabilities.

The WHO advised countries bordering the DRC to strengthen screening procedures at border crossings and along major transport routes to contain further spread of the disease.

The agency also called for the immediate isolation of confirmed patients and daily monitoring of contacts, while recommending that exposed persons avoid international travel for at least 21 days after exposure.

At the same time, the WHO cautioned countries against shutting borders or imposing trade restrictions, warning that such actions could encourage unmonitored informal crossings.

The Ebola virus, first identified in the DRC in 1976, spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids of infected persons or contaminated materials and can cause fever, vomiting, diarrhoea and severe internal complications.

Erizia Rubyjeana 

Follow us on:

ON NOW