The Senegalese parliament decided on Monday to approve postponing the country’s February 25 presidential election until December 15.
Senegalese President Macky Sall had already said that the election will be postponed “indefinitely” due to problems with the “candidates list”.
The list of candidates was approved and released by the constitutional council, of which two members are presently accused of “corruption.”
Only one legislator voted against the election delay, while 105 supported it despite the opposing party’s harsh condemnation of the action.
Several opposition members were first taken out of the chamber during the voting process, allegedly in an attempt to ensure that the vote would pass.
After the parliamentarians’ decision on Monday, Sall’s term, which was set to expire on April 2, has been extended until after the election.
Senegal has been plunged into political anarchy for this past week following Sall’s announcement that the election will be postponed indefinitely.
The administration has been asked by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to move quickly through the different procedures in order to reschedule the elections.
The ECOWAS statement said that the commission further urged “the entire political class to prioritize dialogue and collaboration for transparent, inclusive and credible elections.”
On Monday, the government of Senegal shut down the country’s internet in an effort to put an end to the country’s rising civic discontent and demonstrations.