Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike has vowed that he was not deterred by people “paid” to protest on the streets of Abuja against his administration.
He made the vow on Thursday during the flagging off of the resurfacing of 49 roads in Asokoro, Wuse and Maitama areas of Abuja.
Reacting to protesters, who stormed the National Assembly gate to demand for his removal, Wike said the protesters ostensibly did not believe in things that would bring positive change in the FCT.
He insisted that regardless of the protest, the FCT administration would continue to take hard decisions that would impact the people.
The minister said positive results can only be achieved through a new way of approach to issues but not by rehashing the same things. He said the second phase of the resurfacing upon completion will give Abuja a new look.
“We are not going to be disturbed by protest. This is democracy, everybody can exercise his or her right, but that will not distract us. We are going to remain focused on the mandate that Bola Tinubu gave us, and continue to take hard decisions to achieve good results.
“We can’t continue with the previous way of doing things and expect a different result. Before May 29, 2024, roads in the FCT will wear a new look. People were complaining about projects but since the coming of Tinubu on board, they are seeing results,” Wike said.
The Executive Secretary Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) Hadi Ahmad, said over 60 per cent of works flagged off three months ago under phase 1 of the rehabilitation programme had been completed.
He assured that the projects under phase 2 will be delivered within a period of five months.
The Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officer, Arab Contractors Nigeria Limited, Mohammed El Assar pledged his company’s readiness to deliver quality work.
“We will do our best by giving Abuja residents quality roads in line with the specifications given by the FCT administration,” he said.