• en
ON NOW
d

US Military Ready To Strike Iran This Weekend But Trump Yet To Make Final Decision

The US military is prepared to strike Iran this weekend, but President Trump has not yet made a final call.

The United States military is prepared to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though President Donald Trump has yet to make a final decision on whether to authorise military action, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The White House has been briefed that the military could be ready for an attack following a significant buildup of air and naval assets across the Middle East in recent days. However, one source cautioned that Trump has privately argued both for and against military action, consulting advisers and allies as he weighs his options.

“He is spending a lot of time thinking about this,” one source said.

Senior national security officials convened Wednesday in the White House Situation Room to discuss the situation. Trump was also briefed by special envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner on indirect talks with Iranian representatives held a day earlier in Geneva.

Those discussions lasted more than three hours, with negotiators reportedly agreeing on a “set of guiding principles,” according to Iran’s top negotiator. An American official, however, said “there are still a lot of details to discuss,” underscoring the absence of a clear resolution.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Iran was expected to provide further clarity on its negotiating position “in the next couple of weeks,” but declined to indicate whether Trump would delay any military action during that period.

“I’m not going to set deadlines on behalf of the president of the United States,” Leavitt said, adding that while “diplomacy is always his first option,” military action remains under consideration.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is scheduled to travel to Israel on February 28 to meet with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and provide an update on the talks, according to a State Department official.

The growing military posture has heightened concerns of a potential conflict. The USS Gerald Ford, the most advanced aircraft carrier in the US arsenal, could arrive in the region as early as this weekend. Meanwhile, US Air Force assets stationed in the United Kingdom, including refuelling tankers and fighter jets, are being repositioned closer to the Middle East.

In response, Iran has reportedly fortified several nuclear facilities, using concrete and large quantities of soil to bury key sites, according to satellite imagery analysed by the Institute for Science and International Security.

Diplomatic and political considerations may influence the timing of any decision. The Winter Olympics conclude on Sunday, and Ramadan began Wednesday — a factor some Middle Eastern allies believe could heighten regional sensitivities. Trump is also set to deliver his annual State of the Union address on Tuesday, which aides say will outline his domestic agenda ahead of the midterm year.

Despite his firm rhetoric on preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, Trump has offered limited detail on specific objectives should military action be ordered. His public remarks have done little to secure broad support from Congress or the American public for a large-scale operation.

As tensions mount, the administration continues to balance diplomatic engagement with the possibility of force, leaving the region — and the international community — watching closely for the president’s next move.

Melissa Enoch

Follow us on:

ON NOW