• en

Two Dead, Over 200 Injured In Nairobi Gas Blast 

The Kenyan government has established a command centre and begun rescue efforts.

At least two people have been confirmed dead with about 222 people injured in a major gas blast which rocked the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, on Thursday night.

A spokesperson for the government reported that a lorry carrying gas exploded in Embakasi district around 23:30 (21:30 WAT), “igniting a huge ball of fire”.

According to the spokesman, Isaac Mwaura, the explosion’s fireball “spread widely” and destroyed a warehouse that held clothes and textiles when it was hit by a flying gas cylinder.

Mwaura said that a command centre was established to aid with the coordination of rescue efforts, and the blast location had been secured.

He further said, “Kenyans are hereby advised to keep off the cordoned area in order to allow the rescue mission to be carried out [with] minimal disruptions.”

The massive fire that ensued from the gas blast which was burning near a block of flats caused damage to autos, shops and housing.

The authorities had previously said that the explosion occurred at a gas facility. The reason is still being determined.

It is also said that other apartment buildings were affected by the fire.

Following the explosion, witnesses reported to the local media that they felt tremors.

The Standard Newspaper reported that many of the injured had suffered inhalation injuries, and at least 25 children are among them.

An injured victim, Boniface Sifuna, described his experience saying, “I got burnt by an exploding gas canister as I was trying to escape.

“It exploded right in front of me and the impact knocked me down and the flames engulfed me. I am lucky that I was strong enough to get away.”

Another eyewitness said that there were “huge explosions, huge fireballs, people screaming and running everywhere for fear of more explosions”.

After the explosion, according to a local Nation journalist, everyone had abandoned their homes.

On social media, the Kenya Red Cross stated that volunteers had been “tirelessly battling the flames.”

Ozioma Samuel-Ugwuezi

Follow us on: