Los Angeles prosecutors have charged rapper Tory Lanez with shooting artist Megan Thee Stallion during an argument earlier this year.
Lanez is accused of shooting at Megan Thee Stallion’s feet, hitting her, after she left a SUV during a fight in the Hollywood Hills on July 12th.
He faces two felony charges assault with a semiautomatic firearm and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle. The complaint states Lanez “inflicted great bodily injury” on Megan Thee Stallion.
According to the DA’s office, “the defendant and the 24-year-old victim got into an argument while riding in an SUV in the Hollywood Hills. The victim exited the vehicle and Peterson is accused of shooting several times at her feet and wounding her.” If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of roughly 23 years.
When Megan Thee Stallion first made her allegations public, she did not name her attacker, but said that she had “suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me.” On Aug. 20, she said in an Instagram video that “Yes… Tory shot me,” and urged him to “stop lying” about the incident. She said she declined to tell police that night that she had been shot because she was frightened the situation would have escalated if she revealed to police that there had been gunfire.
Before the DA announced the charges, accusations had spun out on social media — with Tory Lanez denying Megan Thee Stallion’s allegations on a hastily released album last month, and with her saying that the shooting had become a social media joke.
Lanez, whose birth name is Daystar Peterson, is due to be arraigned on Tuesday in Los Angeles. Prosecutors are recommending that his bail be set at $1.1 million.