The Nigerian Army says reports that Boko Haram terrorists have overran and in control of Damasak, a town in northeastern Borno state are blatant misinformation.
The army stated this in a statement signed by Mohammed Yerima, the director army public relations, but acknowledged that there was an attack by the terrorists on Wednesday which it said were effectively repelled by troops.
“As we speak, troops are in total control of the general area and as can be seen in the attached video, the Commander of 5 Brigade, Brig Gen SS Tilawan, is driving round the town earlier this afternoon to assess the general situation following the cowardly attack by the terrorists who sneaked in from the northern flank yesterday in active collaboration of some local informants,” the statement read.
“The Nigerian Army wishes to assure residents of Damasak and adjoining communities to remain calm as mop operation by the troops are ongoing to flush out the remnant of the terrorists who attacked a section of the town.”
Reports had suggested that villages around Damasak in Mobbar local government area came under attack by insurgents who had arrived the area with machine guns and a fleet of trucks.
The report in some section of the media also suggested that the attack left hundreds of residents displaced as many took to the bushes for safety while some fled to neighbouring Niger Republic.
By Abel Ejikeme