• en
ON NOW
d

Gabon Suspends Social Media Platforms Indefinitely Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon has suspended social media “until further notice,” citing hateful content as protests spread.

Social media platforms in Gabon have been suspended “until further notice,” the country’s media regulator announced on Tuesday, citing concerns over online content it says is fuelling division and instability.

A spokesperson for the High Authority for Communication said “defamatory, hateful and insulting content” circulating online is stoking conflict within society. He added that the “spread of false information,” “cyberbullying,” and the “unauthorised disclosure of personal data” are destabilising government institutions and threatening democratic progress.

The regulator did not specify which social media platforms would be affected by the suspension. However, it emphasised that “freedom of expression, including freedom of comment and criticism,” remains “a fundamental right enshrined in Gabon.”

The decision comes as President Brice Oligui Nguema confronts his first major wave of social unrest since assuming office last year.

Teachers have been on strike since December over pay and working conditions, with demonstrations spreading to other public sector workers, including those in health, higher education and broadcasting.

The suspension signals mounting tensions between authorities and segments of the public, as the government seeks to contain unrest while balancing constitutional guarantees of free expression.

Melissa Enoch

Follow us on:

ON NOW