The suspension of the proposed nationwide strike by the Nigeria labour congress which was to commence on Wednesday June 7th, over the removal of the petrol subsidy has generated reactions.
Organized labour announced the suspension of the proposed strike after a meeting of its leaders and representatives of the federal government. Earlier in the day, an Order from a national industrial court had restrained the Trade Union Congress and Nigeria Labour Congress from embarking on the industrial action. At the end of the meeting, organised labour and the governments team agreed to establish a joint committee to review the proposal for any wage increase as well as a review of the World Bank-financed cash transfer scheme by all parties, other issues include, improving on the education sector, good roads, and the establishment of a framework for the completion of the nation’s refineries Festus Keyamo, who was part of the government’s team during the negotiations, posted a copy of the draft agreement and a picture of the moment after the agreement was signed.
In the meantime, A Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday, awarded a N10 million Naira fine against Festus Keyamo, for filing a frivolous suit against the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party Atiku Abubakar, Keyamo had sought an order compelling the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, the ICPC and the Code of Conduct Bureau to probe and prosecute Atiku within 72 hours on the grounds of a claim by one of Atiku’s aides, Michael Achimugu who in a viral recording alleged that when Atiku was Vice President between 1999 and 2007, he conspired with ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo to rip off the country using what he termed Special Purpose Vehicles.
In delivering the judgment, the Judge said Keyamo did not give a reasonable time for the statutory bodies to act before filing the suit and as such filed the suit in bad faith Omotoso awarded N5 million Naira fine each in favour of Atiku and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission making it N10 million Naira. He described the suit as frivolous, vexatious and an abuse of court processes. In another development, former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir Elrufai has been accused of wanting to set Nigeria on fire with his utterances.
A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress in Plateau state, Samuel Kwankur made the accusation after a video in which El-rufai allegedly stated that he deceived Christians during the course of the electioneering campaigns, that the APC Muslim/Muslim Ticket was not for religious dominance when in actual fact the tickets both nationally and at the state level were for Islamic dominance.
In the video which has since gone viral, El-Rufai is reported to have also said that the victory of Bola Ahmed Tinubu had silenced the Christian Association of Nigeria, adding that he will sustain an Islamic-dominated government for 20 years and unending not only in Kaduna State but in Nigeria at large. Kwankur, who is also a former National Director of the Christian Association of Nigeria, while reacting to El-Rufai’s comments, expressed disappointment at his classification of the citizens of his state as ‘US’ versus ‘THEM’ which to him meant that the former governor cannot be exonerated from the wanton killings, demolition of houses and places of worship of Christian’s in Kaduna.
In other news, Nollywood actress, Iyabo Ojo has been trending on social media after she tackled the Lagos State Government on the tax levy she received from the Lagos Internal Revenue Service on Monday to the tune of N18.6 million Naira. Iyabo was given a seven day ultimatum to pay the bill. Sharing the pictures of the personal income tax signed on the letterhead of the LIRS on instagram, The actress said that she will not pay the bill and is ready to be arrested because she does not understand the methodology at which the LIRS arrived at the tax levy. She also posted a video on social media stating that the tax levy may have been politically motivated.