Amid deteriorating security across the country, caused by Boko Haram, bandits and other terrorists, President Muhammadu Buhari Friday convened a meeting of the National Security Council at the State House, Abuja, to fashion out new strategies to stem the unending killings.
The meeting is coming less than 24 hours after Boko Haram intensified their assault on the country by attacking Kanamma, headquarters of Yunusari Local Government Council of Yobe, State, barely a week after they invaded Geidam and displaced over 6,000 residents.
It also emerged on Friday that 323 persons had been killed while 949 others were kidnapped by bandits in the last three months across Kaduna State.
The National Security Adviser (NSA) to the President, Major-General Babagana Monguno (rtd), in a statement after the meeting, stressed the readiness of President Buhari to decisively end all forms of security challenges facing the nation.
The NSA also stated that the Council would reconvene next Tuesday to conclude all discussions on how to end the security assault on the country.
He said: “While the criminals continue to test the will of the Nigerian government, the President and the Council, which adjourned today’s critical meeting until Tuesday morning to receive further briefings from the Security Chiefs, are set and determined to decisively end the assault on the nation and will do all that it takes.”
He emphasised the readiness of the President to take profound measures in the wider interest of the people and the Nigerian nation, adding that “there shall be no relenting until peace and security is significantly restored in our communities.”
Monguno stated that President Buhari’s concern about the persisting security challenges in parts of the country was the reason he called the crucial meeting yesterday, as he continues to frontally confront the situation in the country.
He said: “At today’s meeting, the President made it abundantly clear that while the insurgents, bandits and criminals are still at it, he has no doubt that the Nigerian security agencies and all of us as a nation will certainly overcome all the current security problems and defeat the forces of evil marauding about in different parts of the country.”
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha; Minister of Defence, Major-General Bashir Magashi (retd.); and Monguno attended the meeting.
Others at the meeting were Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor; Chief of Army Staff; Lieutenant-General Ibrahim Attahiru; Chief of Naval Staff; Vice Admiral Awwal Zubairu; Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Oladayo Amoo; and the acting Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba.
Meanwhile, Boko Haram intensified their assault on the country by attacking Kanamma, headquarters of Yunusari Local Government of Yobe, State, barely a week after they invaded Geidam and displaced over 6,000 residents.
Spokesman of the Yobe State Police Command, ASP Dungus Abdulkarim confirmed the attack.
Abdulkarim said: “As a matter of fact, Boko Haram insurgents attacked an outskirt of Kanamma on Thursday night, unfortunately, we have lost contact with our people there due to the absence of a mobile network in the area. We will update you when we reach out to them.”
A local source further revealed that upon hearing gunshots around the military base, the residents fled to the bush for safety.
Deji Elumoye in Abuja