The Director-General of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has been identified as a contact of someone who tested positive for COVID-19, and will go into quarantine.
“I have been identified as a contact of someone who has tested positive for #COVID19. I am well and without symptoms but will self-quarantine over the coming days, in line with @WHO protocols, and work from home,” Ghebreyesus said in a tweet on Sunday.
He called for a strict compliance to covid-19 protocols as several countries see a rise in cases, with Europe and America witnessing a second wave of the coronavirus.
“It is critically important that we all comply with health guidance. This is how we will break chains of COVID19 transmission, suppress the virus, and protect health systems,” he said.
“My @WHO colleagues and I will continue to engage with partners in solidarity to save lives and protect the vulnerable. Together!”
Europe’s new COVID-19 cases have doubled in five weeks, propelling the region on Sunday across the bleak milestone of 10 million total infections.
Last month, both Latin America and Asia reported over 10 million total cases in their regions. The United States alone has over 9 million cases with a rapidly accelerating outbreak.