Katsina State Governor Aminu Masari is insisting that no ransom was paid to secure the release of the schoolboys abducted from Government Science Secondary School in Kankara.
The governor stated this when he received the three hundred and forty-four schoolboys in the state’s government house.
ARISE News had reported how armed men at the weekend attacked the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara and abducted the boys.
This broadcast station also broke the story earlier on Thursday but was advised by federal government sources to tarry a while to ensure the safety of the boys.
Speaking on Friday, the governor said his administration did not offer a penny to the abductors of the boys for their release.
He said security agencies and members of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) were instrumental in the release of the schoolboys.
“Those involved in the negotiation include my adviser, some top military and police operatives, members of Miyetti Allah; (they) were all involved in the negotiation,” Masari said.
The governor said the schoolboys “have suffered physically and psychologically”. He assured them that they would be properly taken care of before they are reunited with their parents.
ARISE News observed that many of the children limped on their way into the government house, apparently from injuries sustained during their time in the hands of the abductors.
By Abel Ejikeme