• en
ON NOW
d

Iran Prepares For Nuclear Talks With UN As US Warships Deploy To Middle East

Iran’s Araqchi meets UN nuclear chief as US warships deploy; Tehran demands sanctions relief, rejects zero enrichment.

Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araqchi, said he will meet the head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog on Monday ahead of renewed US -Iran nuclear negotiations, as tensions rise with US warships deploying to the Middle East.

“I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal. What is not on the table: submission before threats,” Araqchi said on X, signalling Tehran’s firm stance ahead of talks.

The United States has sought to expand negotiations to cover non-nuclear issues such as Iran’s missile programme, but Iran maintains it will only discuss limitations on its nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief, and refuses to accept zero uranium enrichment.

Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi told the BBC on Sunday that Iran is ready to compromise on its nuclear programme if sanctions are eased. He said: “The ball is in America’s court to prove that they want to do a deal.”

Meanwhile ,US officials have confirmed to Reuters that Washington has dispatched a second aircraft carrier to the region and is preparing for the possibility of a sustained military campaign should the talks fail. In response, Iran’s civil defence organisation conducted a chemical defence drill on Monday in the Pars Special Economic Energy Zone, aiming to bolster preparedness for potential chemical incidents at the southern energy hub.

Negotiations had previously stalled over U.S. demands that Iran cease uranium enrichment, which Washington views as a step towards nuclear weapon development. Iran insists its programme is solely for civilian purposes, and aims to build trust regarding the peaceful nature of its enrichment activities.

Araqchi said he will meet International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) head Rafael Grossi on Monday, accompanied by nuclear experts, “for deep technical discussions.”

The IAEA has repeatedly requested clarity from Iran about its 440 kg (970 pounds) stockpile of highly enriched uranium, particularly after Israeli-US strikes last year. The agency also wants inspections to fully resume at three key sites affected by the strikes: Natanz, Fordow, and Isfahan.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reiterated on Sunday that any U.S. deal with Iran must ensure the dismantling of Iran’s nuclear infrastructure, not just halt enrichment. He said: “There shall be no enrichment capability – not stopping the enrichment process, but dismantling the equipment and the infrastructure that allows you to enrich in the first place.”

Netanyahu added that while he remains sceptical of a deal, any agreement must include the removal of enriched material from Iran, underscoring Israel’s hardline position in the negotiations.

Boluwatife Enome

Follow us on:

ON NOW